[TowerTalk] Strange coax failure

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Dec 15 18:11:38 EST 2014

The problem was in a 6 ft jumper of RG-58U.  I cut it in half and then
started to cut off an inch at a time to look for defect. Lucked out and
spotted it immediately.  The center conductor was migrated out to the
edge of the dielectric and at one small place probably stuck out and
intermittently contacted the aluminized foil under the braid. I had no
bad ohm meter readings but using the jumper to connect the meter to the
dummy load showed super weird uninterpretable readings. The bad area was
a couple inches in extent.

Comet doesn't do TDR nor give the sign of the J factor but still is a
good machine.  I'm back on the air and able to use my antennas again,
Y A H O O !!!!

Patrick    NJ5G