[TowerTalk] Ultraflex coax questions (Bury-Flex Tm and crimp dies) DAVIS RF Response

Stephen Davis sdavis at davisrf.com
Mon Dec 15 18:36:09 EST 2014

Hi Howard,

Yes, Bury-Flex ™ will well outlast LMR-400 UF.  Times uses a TPR (thermoplastic elastomer) outer jacket to enhance flexibility. TPR is not great for lasting in UV more than 6-8 years.   When I designed Bury-Flex ™, I used a med. density PE outer jacket which is highly resistant to UV, certain chem's, and totally waterproof at outdoor temps/ambient pressure to fairly high pressure. I also used 19 strand to enhance flexibility vs. 400 UF which is a 7 strand (less flex).
 Bury-Flex ™ is a very popular cable for not only hams but also NASA uses it (ground station), Lockheed Martin, FAA, etc.   The "smoothness" of the outer jacket reduces friction thus excellent for coil around crank up towers.  The cable can be buried without conduit,  run thru water, ponds, salt water (have at least one ham who feeds his 4 el vert phased array which is in salt water inlet.

RF Industries which you mention:  an excellent quality source of commercial grade connectors.  We are an authorized distributor for them for over 20 years, never a problem.  The RFU-507SI (silver body, silver pin, teflon dielectric) are excellent , thus you have chosen the right one for this cable.

The die that you use is same as for LMR-400, 9913, Bury-Flex:  .128 and  .429, which you have.
If you need strip dimensions,  RFI has that in their catalog, and on their web site but if any problem, I can send those to you with the "Stripping Key" diagram (search that name on their web site and I think (?) you can find it there too.

Good DX,  73,  Steve  K1PEK
DAVIS RF Co, Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.
DavisRF.com
Affiliates:  Davis/Orion Marine Cable
                 Davis Rope and Cable Assembly (DavisRopeAndCable.com)