[TowerTalk] Torroid choke construction. To wrap or not to wrap in tape

David Gallatin via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Tue Dec 16 12:55:55 EST 2014

Hello all,I am about to construct a 12 turn on 2.4 od #31 choke from the cookbook using the described #14 THHN.  I have come across references to the possibility of voltage arcing through the insulation (rated at 600V) into the core and that perhaps wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the core is the ounce of prevention needed. Is this needed and/or advisable? Would the tape affect the choke values at all?  73,
David, AA9G

ex W5DCG and KC9EEV