[TowerTalk] Adding 160 to an 80M dipole?

K0DAN k0dan at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 23:10:11 EST 2014

If you have an 80M dipole, you can make it a nifty multiband antenna by
making it a single wire feed "T" antenna (see attached dwg).

Much info on Google, but attached is a suggestion from the Drake MN2700
tuner manual, a classic old antenna design, was the easiest way I could show
you the idea. There's nothing magic about the Drake (altho they made nice
equipment), and the tapped coil which shows in the schematic is a 4:1 balun.
There was nothing magical about the Drake balun either, and a more hefty 4:1
will spare you grief at 160M, especially if you are running QRO with a poor
match. This design will need a transmatch for best performance.

There are many variations on this but it gives you some options if you want
to avoid some of the pitfalls of the antenna you describe.

Good luck and 73

dan
k0dan