[TowerTalk] 450 ohm feedline and coax

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 23 14:37:34 EST 2014

On 12/23/14 9:16 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Tue,12/23/2014 9:07 AM, Tom Osborne wrote:
>> HI All
>>
>> I've seen that you should keep the 450 ohm twinlead at leas the width
>> of the cable away from anything metallic.  Does that include coax cable?
>
> YES! And although I haven't seen any math to support it, I'd want wider
> spacing than that.

The math would be the strength of the magnetic or electric field of the
balanced line at some distance away.  If it were perfectly symmetric, it
wouldn't unbalance, but it would change the characteristic Z.

So the question might be "how far away do you have to be before the
field drops to some specified fraction of the field at the wire's surface.

At a distance (d>>spacing) the field drops off as the 1/cube, so I guess
the real question is "when is it >> enough"

Let's see, the field due to a current in one wire is mu0*I/(2*pi*r),
where I is the current and r is the distance.

if the wires are separated by distance 2d, let's take the worst case,
moving along a line that is in line with both wires, with wire 1 at +d
and wire 2 at -d

distance from wire 1, r1= x-d
distance from wire 2, r2= x+d

The currents are opposite, so the field is:
B = mu0*I/(2*pi) * (1/r1 - 1/r2)
   = k * (1/(x-d)-1/(x+d))
   = k * ( (x+d)-(x-d))/(x^2-d^2)
   = k * 2d/(x^2-d^2)

x/d	B	dB
1.5	1.60	4.08
2	0.67	-3.52
2.5	0.38	-8.38
3	0.25	-12.04
3.5	0.18	-15.00
4	0.13	-17.50
4.5	0.10	-19.67
5	0.08	-21.58
5.5	0.07	-23.30
6	0.06	-24.86
7	0.04	-27.60
8	0.03	-29.97
9	0.03	-32.04
10	0.02	-33.89

when x/d is 2, that means you're looking at the field that is 1/2
"t-line width" away.  x/d = 10 means "5 widths away"

I put the field in dB (20*log10(B)) for comparison.. usually, you figure
that some effect that is 20 dB down is not worth worrying about.

Well, this would imply that going from x/d = 2 to x/d= 5.5 gives you
about 20 dB improvement.

x/d of 5.5 means about 2-3 widths away.

Obviously, the "length" alongside is also important.