[TowerTalk] Smart Phone Compass

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Wed Dec 24 14:06:19 EST 2014

I wouldn’t expect your smart phone compass to be more accurate than +/- 5 degs around the circle - at best.

On most quality, (read military) electronic compasses used for situational awareness,  there is an option to input the declination offset.  Or if it has GPS, then it can automatically look up the declination. In my experience this is rare and it changes over time.

Here’s a map of the world for declination values.  Some are very dramatic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Mv-world.jpg

Jim – KR9U