[TowerTalk] Arrestor placement

David Robbins k1ttt at arrl.net
Sun Dec 28 10:55:27 EST 2014

Grounding coax at the base of a tower would help to reduce the voltage difference between the shield and the tower.  in the event of a nearby lightning strike or even electrical transients in the area (noise) the small gap between the tower leg and shield acts like a loop which would create a voltage difference all along the length of the coax and the tower.  by grounding the shield to the tower leg you short out that loop which 'should' help keep the voltage across the outer insulation lower and 'may' prevent damage to the insulation from an arc caused by that voltage... it would also help prevent noise picked up by that loop from following the shield into the shack where it may get into the receiver through leakage in cases or pin1 problems... but note there is still usually another loop that can pick up induced voltages and noise that is the coax shield to the tower to the ground lead back to the shack, this is often bigger than the tower leg loop and could generate higher voltages which is why it must be grounded again at the shack end.  Note, the voltages are present with or without arresters.

Arresters act to equalize the voltage between the shield and center conductor, or on control cables between the ground and the signal lines in the event of a large fast rising transient such as lightning.  This helps protect equipment connected to the cables from becoming the path that equalizes that voltage, note that they do not reduce noise other than that big bang when your radio blows up.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net