[TowerTalk] MA-550 cables maintenance

Chuck Smallhouse w7cs at theriver.com
Mon Feb 3 02:46:46 EST 2014

Left over from my dirt bike riding days, are several cans of
different types of "chain lube", that I had experimented with and
used .  Some spray on as thin as WD-40, others are thick and foamy
and seem to have almost a wax base,   These different varieties are
available at any Motorcycle or Accessory shop

The heavier, foamer, stuff I spray on the drive chains (5 M dish),
and the lighter on steel cables .  Probably a good idea to spray the
foam type wax base lubricant, on the main winch raising cable, after
the thin lubricant has had a chance to penetrate.  Precipitation will
gradually wash the stuff off, so periodic re-lubrication will be
required.  For you later generation guys, mechanical maintenance, in
spite of what our auto dealers try to sell us, is not a thing of he past, HI.

Also there is spray on "belt dressing" available, to treat the belt
drive, in the raising system, for my Sky Needle tower.

Chuck,  W7CS