[TowerTalk] HF winch

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Mon Feb 3 08:59:26 EST 2014

yes, the pull on the cable goes up quickly as the tower tilts... it can be way more than the weight of the tower, especially if not connected at the top of the tower and if it doesn't have enough height.

also, think about the pulley system again.. if you go to 2 or 3 to one advantage you also have to handle 2 or 3 times as much cable on the drum... AND have to run the winch for 2 or 3 times longer to wind or unwind that cable.  getting that advantage does come with a cost!