[TowerTalk] Tilt winch article

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 8 09:30:00 EST 2014

Hi Jim,

One of the better manufacturer sites giving some insight into the
choices available to you for a given job at hand is the Dutton-Lainson
Company <http://www.dutton-lainson.com/categories.php?cat=15>.  They
offer electric, brake, worm-gear & pulling winches, along with a host of
spare parts and a 5 year warranty on most winches.  If you click on a
given winch at the site, a comparison table is available to you.  The
table can and will change, given the type of winch selected for comparison.

http://www.dutton-lainson.com/categories.php?cat=15

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com

On 2/3/2014 10:47 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

> 'XK makes a very important point.. most winches do not have a brake,
> since they're used for dragging something horizontally. If power fails
> or you turn off the winch or the gears break, the load just sits there
> and the cable goes a bit slack.
>
> Hoists usually have an internal brake or are geared such that they can
> hold the load with no power. (although I have had some, shall we say,
> exciting moments with a set of 110VAC hoists that didn't hoist all at
> the same rate, so the loads didn't distribute evenly)

---