[TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Feb 12 20:09:35 EST 2014

On 2/12/2014 3:12 PM, Dan Cisson wrote:

I had a TH-5 2' above the top of a 100' 45G, a 7L C3i 50M7 6-meter yagi,
30 ft boom 15' above the top, and a 14' cross boom 30 ft up with 2 12L
C3i 2 meter yagis and a pair of 11L 440 C3is inboard of those for about
7 years.  Mast was 2" 1/4" wall, structural steel tube, with a short
1.5" stub that held the cross boom.

The 7L 50M7 at 15' was fine, but on those high wind days, the cross boom
would whip around like a Bluegill fly rod that had just tied into a
record Bass.  It also withstood two major ice storms. The only real
problem was it beat the snot out of a TB-3 and TB-4 while they were up.
The races wore so badly that the top sat right down on the base.  The
edges of the races were like razors.

I knew it was well beyond the ratings, but I just had to try it. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)