[TowerTalk] Drill motor

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Feb 20 12:04:40 EST 2014

On 2/20/2014 9:55 AM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
> I ran across the DeWalt DWD460 drill. It draws 11 amps, and has continuously variable speeds in 2 ranges( 0 300 and 0 1300 RPM). Seems like that would get away from the overheating problem in the worm-gear winches.

There are rating and there are ratings. Most drill motors are rated for
intermittent duty with short run times and long cooling cycles.

I purchased the largest Dewalt that Lowe's carries.  Drilling 3/4" holes
in 1/2" thick I-beam, I burned it up in less than 5 minutes and I had
just purchased it.

Drill motors for mixing as have been listed on here may be rated
differently, or with a larger reserve/safety factor than those for
drilling holes.  IOW two motors rated at 13A with one for mixing and one
for drilling may not have the same ability to raise a tower.

I've not found a correlation in the ratings.  From experience, I've
found a drastic difference in ratings for drill motors rated for long
run times VS the typical short run times for drilling holes.

I'd limit my purchases to a motor rated for long run times such as mixing.

Caveat Emptor

73

Roger (K8RI)