[TowerTalk] Drill motor

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Feb 20 12:21:06 EST 2014

On 2/20/2014 10:24 AM, TexasRF at aol.com wrote:
> 10 seconds on, 30 seconds off?

I'd stay well away from those.  I want something I can pull the trigger
and go till done. I'd find that 10/30 to be really frustrating when
raising a tower. A drill motor rated for mixing should do the job.
That's why they are so much more expensive.

If working a regular motor hard as with a winch that has a friction
brake, 30 seconds may not be enough cooling time.  That was about what I
used on the biggest Dewalt Lowe's sells. I burned it up in less than 5
minutes drilling 3/4" holes in 1/2" steel.

I had drilled 1/2" With my battery powered, variable speed, variable
torque, (hammer capable) drill motor  I was enlarging the holes to 3/4"
with the big drill motor.  Even though the battery powered motor was
smaller, it did get hot, but I was able to just pull the trigger and go
till the holes were done and I didn't wait between holes like I did with
the big motor.

73

Roger (K8RI)