[TowerTalk] Drill motor

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 21:20:19 EST 2014

Hi Mike,

Mine does that, too... tilts up/down in about 30 seconds or so.
I have US Tower's HD "raising fixture".

An additional benefit of using the Super Hawg is, I can also bore
holes... in just about ANYTHING.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
On Fri, 2/21/14, Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l at comcast.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drill motor
 To: "Bryan Swadener" <bswadener at yahoo.com>
 Cc: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk at contesting.com>
 Date: Friday, February 21, 2014, 6:15 PM

 Thanks Bryan -

 My application will be making the tower lie down and sit up,
 so the load would be a bit different ..... maybe. I talked
 to a local big name Milwaukee dealer here today. He thought
 a Super Hawg was a Harley.

 I'm looking at wheelchair motors also, and a Fulton KW3000.

 73, Mike NF4L

 On Feb 21, 2014, at 8:52 PM, Bryan Swadener <bswadener at yahoo.com>
 wrote:

 > IIRC, my US Tower TX-472 + Force12 C-4XL goes up/down
 in
 > a little over 30 seconds, using a Milwaukee Super Hawg
 (pn
 > 1680-20) that runs at 450rpm.  It pulls 13A at
 full load and
 > should not be confused with the smaller Hole Hawg. The
 > tower uses Fulton K-2550 winches.
 >
 > The only issue with taking my tower up/down in 30
 seconds is,
 > I have several feedlines hanging off the tower, along
 with two
 > wire antennas.  I HAVE TO stop periodically in
 order to keep
 > things from tangling. So far, it runs stone cold.
 >
 > I found the Super Hawg as a factory refurbished unit on
 eBay
 > for a little over $200 shipped.
 >
 > vy 73,
 > Bryan WA7PRC
 > Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:04:40 -0500
 > From: Roger K8RI
 > Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drill motor
 >
 > On 2/20/2014 9:55 AM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
 >> I ran across the DeWalt DWD460 drill. It draws 11
 amps,
 > and has continuously variable speeds in 2 ranges( 0 300
 and
 > 0 1300 RPM). Seems like that would get away from the
 > overheating problem in the worm-gear winches.
 >
 > There are rating and there are ratings. Most drill
 motors
 > are rated for
 > intermittent duty with short run times and long
 cooling
 > cycles.
 >
 > I purchased the largest Dewalt that Lowe's carries.
 > Drilling 3/4" holes
 > in 1/2" thick I-beam, I burned it up in less than 5
 minutes
 > and I had
 > just purchased it.
 >
 > Drill motors for mixing as have been listed on here may
 be
 > rated
 > differently, or with a larger reserve/safety factor
 than
 > those for
 > drilling holes.  IOW two motors rated at 13A with
 one
 > for mixing and one
 > for drilling may not have the same ability to raise a
 > tower.
 >
 > I've not found a correlation in the ratings.
 From
 > experience, I've
 > found a drastic difference in ratings for drill motors
 rated
 > for long
 > run times VS the typical short run times for drilling
 > holes.
 >
 > I'd limit my purchases to a motor rated for long run
 times