[TowerTalk] multiple antennas on same tower

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 07:01:52 EST 2014

Jorge,

One of the benefits of a stack is to reduce or eliminate the higher angle lobes for receive.  From the middle of the USA where I am located, it can make a big difference in reducing the QRM from  everything between here and the East Coast toward Europe.  The difference in the level of a signal from W8, for example, may be as much as 20 dB at times.

The difference in the signals from Europe with both antennas and just the high one may not be noticeable and is never really significant. While there are some times that the lower one is stronger to Europe than the two together, I would have to think long and hard about doing it again if there was not the benefit on receive.

I am referring to my observation of 8/8 on 20m, 114 foot (35 meter) booms,  fixed on Europe at about 75 and 150 feet.

It occurs to me that there is little need for you to minimize the strength of your signal to any location between you and either USA or Europe.  In fact anyone who calls is someone who gives you points.

A lot of the enjoyment is spending time dreaming and planning what to do.  All I am saying is that 18 Yagi antennas and the associated switching to cover 20/15/10 in two fixed directions is a lot of work.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad