[TowerTalk] FW: Mast Wall Thickness

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Feb 26 09:30:17 EST 2014

 > Another way to express this is the increase in strength = 1 / the
 > percentage stress reduction.

Increasing the wall size does not "increase the strength" of the
material - it reduces the stress on the mast for a given load.
Put another way it increases the load handling capacity of the mast.

In any case, it is far better to increase the diameter of the mast -
the stress in a 2.5" OD 1/4" wall mast will be only about half that
in a 2" OD, 1/4" wall mast for the same applied load.  It's a shame
that the makers of antenna rotators simply don't understand that and
continue to insist on 2" mast only.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV