[TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto (was: Tower Foundation (was Concrete Prices)
Richard (Rick) Karlquist
richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jan 2 17:27:32 EST 2014
On 1/2/2014 11:02 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> Tack weld the bolts together with #3 rebar when attached to the base so
> they don't move when set without the base to make concrete work easier.
> Grant KZ1W
Can anyone refer me to a Dummy's guide to welding rebar?
1. I have heard that I have to use special weldable rebar.
What do I ask for? I'm assuming that the common rebar
at Home Depot, etc is not it.
2. Gas weld or arc weld? How big of an arc welder needed?
Can I get away with a MAPP gas torch?
3. What welding rods to use?
4. What if the bolts happen to be galvanized? Grind
off the galvanizing near the weld?
5. Can this be done by a novice welder? (I took a
class on welding in college 40 years ago, so I know
just enough to be dangerous). Any stupid rookie
mistakes to avoid?
6. Alternately, if I go to a welding shop, are they
going to know what to do or do I need to go to a
concrete company that makes rebar cages all the time?
7. I am mainly interested in using tack welding to keep
the bolts from moving. The jury is still out on whether
to weld or wire the rest of the cage. I just don't
trust wiring as being rigid enough to fix the bolts
Thanks in advance.
More information about the TowerTalk