[TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Thu Jan 2 19:42:41 EST 2014

On 1/2/2014 6:19 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:

>> Can anyone refer me to a Dummy's guide to welding rebar?
>>
>> 1.  I have heard that I have to use special weldable rebar.
>> What do I ask for?  I'm assuming that the common rebar
>> at Home Depot, etc is not it.

> That depends on your view of how strong the rebar in a tower foundation
> really needs to be.

That's a good question, isn't it?

I know of many concrete cubes (roughly) serving as self support
foundations for towers and satellite dishes that a "friend" installed
decades ago without any re-rod cages, and none of them (to his
knowledge) has split.

My friend became much more careful later on, but he always wondered
about how critical it is in big blocks of concrete.

At any rate, I'm guessing that agonizing over tack welding the cage
together (in a ham install) might be over thinking a bit.

-Steve K8LX