[TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 3 00:36:39 EST 2014

On 1/2/2014 11:42 PM, EZ Rhino wrote:
> Flux core for outdoors (read: wind), gas in the shop.  Don't try to oxy/acetylene weld it as the heat is much greater than a quick BZZT! tack from a MIG gun.
I didn't think of out doors as I normally do the welding in the shop,
although I did do the guy anchor braces outside.

I use either stick, or build a small, 3 sided tent out of what ever is
handy.  Nothing really efficient, just enough for fairly calm conditions
at the weld.  Some days (middle of the day and hotter than blazes with
not a draft!<:-))  I do turn up the cover gas flow.  You do not want the
tent tight as you want air to breathe and in a tight tent the cover gas
could easily replace the oxygen.

Basically you want just enough wind break that a little extra cover gas
will keep the weld from sputtering and throwing material.  It becomes
evident in a hurry if you don't have enough cover gas.<:-))  Stick
pretty much eliminates that problem.

As cover gas is usually a mix of Ar and CO2, you don't want to do that
down in a hole.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

---