[TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 3 02:16:03 EST 2014

On 1/3/2014 1:19 AM, Ro Grrr wrote:
> Re: Tack welding rebar, need howto
>

> Why make things complicated when working with rebar. The quality of the steel is so hit-and-miss that not many will chance welding it.
> They invented wire "rebar ties" that are like twist-ties and are sufficient for holding it in place for concrete work. They also make a tie-tool which is an offset j-shaped hook on a swivel handle to twist the ties. Works slick, too.
"The cage" is simply the resulting form from a practical method of
positioning (and holding) the rods in place.  As I understand, they
would still perform their function even if they were not fastened to
each other,  However placing that many rods in the correct place while
pouring concrete  with out welding or tying would not be practical.

"We've done it this way" for so many years the reason has been lost and
replaced with a dogmatic approach.  Whether welded, spot welded, or
tied, It's just a handy way of keeping the rods in place until the
concrete sets

With large installations like floors, you don't have to tie up a bunch
of certified welders, hauling huge masses of welding cables around over
the rerod grid and can train them in minutes while saving hundreds of
thousands of dollars.  In these cases, tying is much more practical than
welding.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---