[TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 3 12:27:50 EST 2014

Flux core is the easiest, cheapest, and lightest way to weld in the
field e.g. for fence posts in the pasture with a generator on the back
of the ATV or Gator.  The entry MIG setups also don't have a regulator
in the kit although the Miller and others have the shield gas plumbing
and valve inside.

I've owned 7 or 8 MIG welders and IMO the big box ones and HF are to be
avoided.  Even the Lincoln ones are cost reduced in critical areas such
as the wire feeder.  If you've ever had a rig with a stuttering feeder,
you know how aggravating that can be.  Better to spend another 15% and
buy the commercial version at a welding supplier.  If you buy on-line
check the model number carefully to make sure it is the commercial version.

My current favorite for odd jobs is the Miller 211, runs on 120 or 240,
came with a gas regulator and feed reels for flux core if I need to go
there.  I use gas 99% since the welds are slag free.  My other welders
are a Miller 250 and Miller Dimension 432 (400a). Just sold my
Millermatic 130 flux core setup.

Gas brazing rebar has one big problem not mentioned - rebar I've seen is
far from clean, often rusty, mill scale and some coolant/lube stuff left
over from rolling.  Most fluxes won't touch that so wire brushing or
sand blasting is needed as prep.  MIG/stick burns right through.

Re strength, if HD really (I doubt it) sells graded rebar, the lowest is
40, 40ksi yield.  Annealed steel is well above 30ksi.  One PE told me
"all the rebar does for a tower foundation is keep the concrete from
cracking, there is no significant structural load purpose."  A lot
different than a bridge beam, where high strength rebar, codes, material
certifications, certified welders, and heavy testing and inspection are
appropriate.

For wire ties, buy the swivel hook and ties pre looped, that makes life
easier unless you can rent an automatic tie gun, those and the portable
hydraulic benders and cutters are really cool but around $2500 each.
Available at some rental shops and a must for rebar #5 and larger.

Grant KZ1W