[TowerTalk] Grounding tower

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 4 23:09:06 EST 2014

On 1/4/14 5:42 PM, Mike Fahmie wrote:
> I'm putting up a HDX572.  Digging the hole has been quite a job,
> hardpan was encounter a few feet below the surface and it was
> alternating jackhammer and backhoe work for two days to get close to
> the specified depth.
>
> Now, I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive ground rods into that
> stuff!  I have a impact driver with the appropriate driver head but I
> need a 'Plan B' if, as I expect, the rods won't go in.  I can imbed
> some rods or heavy gauge wire into the concrete (ala Ufer ground) but
> have heard that if the tower takes a strike the moisture in the
> concrete could flash into steam and fracture the concrete.

Nope.. no flash into steam.  Your situation is what the Ufer invented
the concrete encased grounding electrode for.  20 ft of bare copper wire
of the appropriate size (AWG4) , or bond to the rebar (which has to be
20 ft long, minimum) .  From a ease of installation standpoint, I think
the copper wire approach is easier.

http://www.nh.gov/jtboard/050909_concreteencasedelectrodes.pdf is a nice
summary from New Hampshire