[TowerTalk] Base equivalent

Brian Amos bamos1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 01:30:26 EST 2014

Patrick

That sounds like quite the interesting setup. How well it works really
depends on the soil conditions and the design loads. Having a reinforced
foundation goes a long way. In this case the extra legs would probably add
stability, especially in soft ground conditions.

The well point is a fancy dewatering well, which has been in use for a very
long time. They just keep the water out of the hole.  Typically they are
used where you have a very large excavation for a basement.  I guess you
could use it for the tiny excavation needed for a tower but I think if you
are going to that expense a driven pile or drilled pier might be a cheaper
alternative. They use very similar equipment to install a well as to
install a drilled pier.

In all honesty many things work great in one situation where they don't
work at all in others (dewatering wells in clay are worthless, for example,
but in sandy soils they are a godsend). Its kind of like antennas: what
works great for some people doesn't work at all for others. It all depends
on each specific set of conditions. That is why I struggle with the idea of
a manufacturer providing specific foundation instructions when each site is
different and has different conditions. Considering the cost of a good
tower I would think they could at least provide the buyer with a
personalized set of recommendations for the foundation, or drop the price a
bit and recommend you seek recommendations from an engineer familiar with
your area.

Just my two cents.

Brian
KF7OVD
Brian, faced with a similar problem and using brute force and awkwardness
as a substitute for engineering training, I elected to excavate 4 trenches
radiating from the central excavation.  I then put rebar into these 4
trenches, 4 horizontals ringed with stirrups and tied into the central
cage. These radial legs (props?) were about 16 inches wide and 36 inches
deep where they attached to the cage and tapered to 24 inches at the outer
ends. These "legs" were 3 ft long from outer end to central cage and the
central "rectangular lump" was 4x4 ft horizontally and 5 ft deep. The
intent of the radial legs was to provide leverage against tipping. Our code
frost depth is 18 inches. We are in a rural  area and have no permits or
inspections.  II My motivation was to make better use of materials than
just a big lump.

Would something like this be useful to the OP of this thread?  For that
matter, is this approach useful at all in your professional opinion for
getting more performance for your buck in materials when depth of digging
is a cost factor?

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Amos