[TowerTalk] Drain Pipe Passing Thru Tower Foundation

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Jan 15 18:00:24 EST 2014

On 1/15/2014 8:24 AM, Brian Amos wrote:
> Not wrong :). I have a bit of experience in the matter.  I have seen
> structures fail from a leaky unpressurized sewer pipe that was fine when
> they built it. The top 1.5 feet will provide so little lateral support that
> it really not matter. If you do leave it in place keep in mind that you are
> taking on greater risk. My experience as a foundation engineer says move
> it.
I would think that with a 1.5' arm that there would be much more
leverage/strain on the area of the pipe than the lower portion of the
base.  Also as it presents a discontinuity in the concrete, you'd
subtract the area used by the pipe from the base area/footprint.

Either way, I agree with moving the pipe

73

Roger (K8RI)