[TowerTalk] Tower Base Removal

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jan 18 04:51:36 EST 2014

On 1/17/2014 7:09 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> I suspect that it would be very difficult to remove the old foundation
> with a crane.  You're looking at roughly 3 cubic yards of concrete
> weighing roughly 10,000 pounds (not to mention whatever drag/suction
> there might be), and I can't imagine the tower base stubs being enough
> to lift that sucker out of the ground even if you thought it would
> hold together since it doesn't have any rebar in it.  If it needs to
> come out I think your only recourse is to somehow break it up ...
> jackhammer, expansion goop (don't remember what it's called), or
> dynamite.

You have to drill holes for (It's a type of clay that expands with
moisture...I forgot the name as well)    Dynamite used like that takes
experience (if you were serious) and what's called a powder license)
which is difficult to get.  Lots of packing on top with 1/4 sticks.  I
used a lot on the farm 50 years ago, which I still own and I doubt I
could even get a license now days. Course I have no need for one.

73

Roger (K8RI)