[TowerTalk] Looking for Prosistel rotor pictures

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jan 18 21:20:46 EST 2014

On 1/18/2014 5:51 PM, Scott wrote:
> Anyone who has had a motor off a Prosistel pst61 (only with horizontal
> motor) or a pst71 and has pictures of the motor area I would be
> interested in seeing your pictures. I've seen Roger K8 RI pics already.
> Trying to determine how many different kinds of motors they used on
> these over the years.

Just two "I think" (AC and DC for the newer ones.)  The motor on the
older ones and "I think" newer ones is easily turned in any 90 deg
position as up, down, right or left. If it's an older one filled with
gear lube, lay it on its side with the motor attach point facing upward,
otherwise, expect a big mess when the motor comes loose.  Just take the
4 bolts out and position the motor as you wish.

However and it's a big however, I've received reports that there are
minor differences from rotator to rotator. The older ones have two weak
points.  The top seal which is exposed and in a recess where water can
and does collect, causing the shaft to rust which causes the seal to
lose integrity. IE: Leak. The other is the body to base flange mount.
There are just 4 bolts holding the body to base mount.  These are 4
threaded holes in the cast aluminum body. There have been a few reports
of these failing.  I've received a few photos of a couple of these
failures.  Unless running near the rotators limits, or in a salt laden
atmosphere I don't think this would be a problem.  I'd like to get one
of their new top of the line rotators to play with, but that's kinda
pricey for just an experiment.

I had to go with mounting the motor horizontal in my setup.

73,

Roger (K8RI)