[TowerTalk] Over heated cores

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Jul 2 00:54:33 EDT 2014

On 7/1/2014 8:25 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> I have several 2.4" OD cored. Will overheating cause their properties
> to change after they cool down  I have 2 out of an AV640 that now have
> a dull surface. I have quite a few new ones, so replacing them is not
> a problem, but at near $5 each I'd like to save them if they are any
> good.  The material is nor cracked/fractured.

I have no way of knowing how hot these were other than the cores now
have a dull gray finish instead of the polished look. I and Hy-gain
don't think, at the legal limit (SSB & CW)  hardly warmed them up.  800W
on 6.  I know that's higher than the official figures on 6, but the
consensus was that should not have hurt them, so I can only assume it
was lightening.  OTOH there are no external marks on the antenna
indicating lightening other than the plastic caps on the tuning stubs on
that antenna do show signs of strong corona. None of the other two that
have been up show like signs.

73,

Roger (K8RI)