[TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G

Kevin Kidd kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:23:47 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Wayne Kline <w3ea at hotmail.com> wrote:

> But if my gray matter serves me well  R 25- Gg is not suitable for guying
> let alone two levels .

25g is usable under Rev G 90mph up to 190ft with 5 levels of guys.  Lightly
loaded yes but usable.  There are many 190ft AM broadcast and lightly
loaded 2-way towers that have been standing for 30+ years with 4 levels of
guys.

You will find a lot of people that will argue that using a wall bracket on
a guyed tower is a bad thing.

See:
http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-25g-tower

I once was called to work on a small community cable TV tower.  When I
arrived I found 300ft of 25g with the expected arrays of VHF and UHF
yagi's.  I walked up to it, looked up and quickly walked back to the
truck.  The owner came over and wanted to know how long it was going to
take to replace the feed line to an array about halfway up.  I replied that
it wouldn't take long because that thing was about to be horizontal.  That
tower was so overloaded that sections were bulging and visibly twisted at
the array mounting points.  Several lower legs were split from the weight
trying to force them down over the top of the section below.  There were a
lot of leg bolts bent...  Z braces broken loose from legs, etc...

The owner answered that it had been like that for years but I refused to
climb and came back home.  It was on the ground within the month.

I don't understand how the thing stayed up for construction, let alone
several years with all those yagis.

Later,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT