[TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G

Linux Mercedes linuxmercedes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:28:50 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <
K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net> wrote:

> On 7/2/2014 8:38 PM, Linux Mercedes wrote:
>
>> Is there a significant difference between guying and bracketing a tower?
>> I'd expect them to behave about the same, but maybe house bracketing is
>> more rigid since guys are springy.
>>

> There are too many variables to say for sure, but if you have ever been on
> the roof of a single story home, next to a large chimney, you will be
> amazed at how much the house roof and walls move. On a house out in the
> open you will see the roof move a couple of inches in a 30-40 mph wind.
>  That was a well built home.  Many brackets only guy in one axis and they
> usually guy around 12 feet.  The wall holding the bracket should be
> reinforced, but seldom is.  Typically, by themselves, the wall will not
> stand against much wind until the house is completely enclosed.  I've seen
> a number of them fold up when the frame and roof were completed.  There was
> even a video on the net recently.. IIRC they are not insured while under
> construction.
>
> Last photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Dirt_Base.htm is a
> house btacket that attaches to a gable end consisting of 2 X 6s.
>
> At best the bracket only raises the base about 12 feet. Above that the
> tower is free standing.  So you only gain what ever height above ground,
> the bracket is located.  Brackets located on an wall not reinforced doesn't
> add much stability.

In that case, I am not too worried about guying. I don't want to bracket
the tower (I am renting so I'm putting the tower somewhere far away from
buildings so it can't fall on them), but I will be borrowing your dirt base
design with some modifications.

>> Alternatively, I hear that for short (~100 foot or less) 25G towers, 1/4"
>> EHS can be used instead of 3/16" EHS for a more rigid tower without putting
>> too much weight on the legs. If flex is an issue, maybe that's the way to
>> go?
>>

> For me, EHS is way to heavy and larger is much more so.  Figure the weight
> for two or three level EHS guying.
> I replace the 3/16" guys with 1/4" wire rope (which is not as heavy as
> 1/4" EHS) and the extra weight and tension caused the bottom two sections
> to "bell" out between the two bolts in each leg, requiring a jack to get
> them apart.  The stronger and heavier guys require more tension which
> translates to more down force,

Wait, so 3/16" EHS is heavier than 1/4" wire rope? I do want to avoid
permanent tower damage as I'd like to be able to take down and sell the
tower when I'm done with it.

> I much prefer Phillystran which is far lighter and I've never, in 13 years
> noted any stretch problems and I've bee "up there" in winds far higher than
> I should have been.  I figure 20G is about half the rating of 25G while
> others figure 75%.  To me the lighter construction with wider spacing on
> smaller braces along with thinner tubing for lega makes a substantial.

 I'd love to use Phillystran but it is incredibly expensive compared to
3/16" EHS.

> The legs of a 25 G by themselves are not strong.(25G=16ga, 20G=18ga)  They
> depend on the braces for strength.I much prefer to err on the safe side.  I
> figure, by the time you get 20G engineered to satisfy the insurance
> company, or codes if applicable, you could have purchased and installed a
> 45G.

That makes a lot of sense. The leg braces on 20G are thinner, too. If I use
it at all, it'll be at the very top of the tower.

> Had I known I wouldn't be able to continuing to climb through my 70s, I'd
> have found a way to install a heavy duty 100' crank up instead of the 100'
> 45G.  To me, going up needs to be safe, with a good safety margin.  I use
> guy brackets and do not tie guys to tower legs so the whole tower receives
> the sideways/lateral force, not just one leg. If you do not use a pier pin
> base, wing transfers a lateral force to the back side (side away from wind)
>  and an upward force to the front side (side on which the wind impinges).

Fortunately I'm young and stupid so I'm not too worried about tower
climbing. I do need to pick up a guy bracket for the middle bay; I was
debating making my own since Rohn wants something outrageous for theirs,
but I'll probably pick up one from Norm's Fab as they're a bit cheaper and
I don't have to spend the time designing it myself. Fortunately, the tower
I was given came with a flat top that has loops for guy wires built into
it.

>  Although if leg weight loading is a concern, I guess I should work out
>> how much downforce a 20G section can support, since it'll be less than 25G.
>>

> 18Ga Vs 16ga  (3,900# for 18ga 20G.  I don't have a figure for 25G)

Neat. 20G will collapse before the 3/16" EHS guys you'd use on it will
break. I guess that is why it's not recommended for much!