[TowerTalk] Cores

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Tue Jul 8 22:09:54 EDT 2014

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 7/8/2014 12:55 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 7/8/2014 11:05 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:
>> FT240-31 for shorthand
>
> Actually, FT240 and similar part numbers were cooked up by vendors
> like Amidon and Palomar to keep the customer ignorant of the real part
> number, so that they could sell the parts at sinful markups (typically
> 3-4X their cost).
>
> That's one reason I've published Fair-Rite part numbers in my RFI
> tutorial and listed known good North American vendors. Amidon,
> Palomar, and DXEng are not on that list, because their markups are
> wildly excessive.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

REPLY:

One website I use a lot for finding parts is: http://www.findchips.com/

The name would imply it is for finding chips only, but it will find
virtually any electronic part number. For example, try searching for
Fair-Rite part number 0431177081 (mentioned in Jim's article) and note
the wild price variations he mentions. Enter only the part number and
not the manufacturer. Try it, you'll like it. :-)

73, Bill W6WRT
dezrat at outlook.com