[TowerTalk] overhead truss for 80M rotary dipole

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 10 01:36:15 EDT 2014

I rebuilt a tired EF180C (no longer sold) which is 86' long.  Many of
the rivets were loose and were drilled out and replaced with cross
bolts.  I particularly like W6NL's advice on connecting elements - two
bolts at 90 degrees which does reduce the movement in 2 planes.
Additionally he advises two guys above, so I use Phillystran to about
20' out on each element.  Mine are attached to a cross arm 4' above the
boom and about 30" each side, about what the linear loading wires were
originally. It is now tuned with a Tornado variable inductor and 25 ohm
balun for full 80m coverage < 1.3:1.  He also recommends a down guy to
the mast, then the antenna is totally constrained (I don't have one).
W6NL's view is that updrafts are likely and wind induced oscillations
can also move the elements vertically as you note, so a down guy is
important. This antenna might move to a higher more exposed tower
position and then I will add a down guy.

I also ran the original (unguyed) design through YagiMech from DX
Engineering and that verified why there were some small bends.  The wind
survival barely was above 70mph.  With internal sleeving I was able to
improve that to almost 90mph.  So far so good after 3 years, although my
wind conditions are very benign even at the 100' element height.  btw
the tip elements are 1/4" diameter but the wind load is so small on them
they are not the weakest link.

I think it is unlikely that an element will fail in column buckling
before failing in bending, and you are correct that guys load the
element in compression.

Grant KZ1W