[TowerTalk] Wooden Gin Pole?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jul 18 19:15:52 EDT 2014

On 7/17/2014 5:57 PM, Linux Mercedes wrote:

A 4 X 4 is heavy!
I've used a number of materials, including the 1.5", steel top rail for
fence.  It's springy, rather than bending easy.  I used a 16 footer,
found some steel tube that was a slip fit and made a good gin pole for
antennas up through medium tri-banders.  Be sure the pull is straight
down.  I used a snatch block at the base of the tower.  However as I
usually purchase 6 or 8 stock pieces of Aluminum at a time they
delivered about a dozen, 24' 1.5" and 2" of 1/4 a,d 3/16ths wall
6061-T6.  I've forgotten the price, but I've used a full length piece of
2", 1/4 inch wall for a gin pole. The long with 1/4" wall is pretty
heavy, but I doubt it's as heavy as that 4 X 4

Access depends on where you are located, but I'd sure try for something
other than that.

73

Roger (K8RI)