[TowerTalk] TH-7DX Balun

LB3RE LJ3RE Stein-Roar Brobakken post at lb3re.com
Sun Jul 20 23:14:38 EDT 2014

HiIts a simple 1:1 current balun You can also use simple RF choke with 7-8 turn of coax on 3-4" diameter RG8/RG213.  Then i use RFI clips 15mm about 10 pcs from ebay is cheap instead of huge cost of something crappy.   The BN4000 been discussed here too in 2008  http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2008-08/msg00106.html

---Sent by iphoneLB3RE LJ3RE K3RAG ex: LA6FJAwww.lb3re.com ~ Rag ~ Stein Roar Brobakken e-mail:post at lb3re.comhttp://la5o.wordpress.comwww.contesting.no

Hello-

  I thought I would ask here first - my question is about a good balun to use. I feel I should not use the BN-86 balun that is supplied with the TH-7DX, I have read too many bad things about it.

  I know the Hy-Gain BN-4000 is recommended to replace the BN-86. I was studying the materials used in the BN-4000 and was thinking about replacing the internals of my BN-86. I managed to get my BN-86 case apart without damaging it.

  There is a video on U-Tube about a defective BN-4000; the gentleman took the cover off in trying to find what was wrong with it. What confuses me is he describes, and shows in the video, a stub of small teflon coax that is not terminated. In the video you can see another length of coax, with the cores placed on it and terminating at the SO-239 connector, which he removed out of the potting material. I thought these baluns were constructed by placing about 50 type FB77-2401 torroid cores on short length of RG-303 coax, with nothing else. Is there something else? I thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with how the BN-4000 is built.

    Thanks, Byron WA5THJ

TowerTalk at contesting.com