[TowerTalk] T2X Tail Twister rotator freezes in place below 32 degrees ?

Dick k8ztt at centurylink.net
Mon Jul 21 14:37:30 EDT 2014

Gary,

If your rotor has been up that many years, it is long due a complete
overhaul!  I would suggest you take it off the tower, tear it down and
completely clean out the old grease (that is most likely causing your
problem).  While you have it in pieces, check out the gears for any damage,
the brake housing for any damage, and check the top bell housing where the
500 ohm pot "tit" fits into the top of the housing.

I would bet the catch (holds the tit in place) is worn through, and you
might need a new bell housing.  Also, I would replace the 500 ohm pot.
While you are doing all this, it would be worth your while to replace the 8
screw wire connector on the bottom with a new quick disconnect one
(http://www.rotor-parts.com/catalogue/oscommerce-2.3.3.1/catalog/product_inf
o.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=43).

I have been using Ham "X" rotors and Tailtwisters for more years than I care
to remember;  at my present QTH I am using four Tailtwisters and one Ham IV.
Ever since "day 1", Whenever I do tower or antenna maintenance, I
automatically tear down and rebuilt the rotor.  A few months ago I rebuilt a
Ham III for a guy that was so clogged up with grease, it would hardly turn
(I use about a tablespoon of grease to do a whole rotor).  When you put the
gears back together, it would be a good idea to have a few spare shims to
space the gears.  The rotors are mass produced and the tolerances are on the
very "liberal".  Spending about 30 or 40 minutes "playing with" the spacing
and shimming will result in considerable less play (and wear) with the
gears.   A good place for parts is http://www.rotor-parts.com (which is
where I gave you the specific link to the quick disconnect above).

Have fun with the fixing the rotor; not hard to do, and well worth the
effort!

Dick, K8ZTT