[TowerTalk] Utility Pole as Beam Support

Clay Jackson n7qnm-lists at nwlink.com
Tue Jun 3 18:15:05 EDT 2014

I just "inherited" a 50' (out of the ground, 6' buried) utility pole (crew
was taking it out and told me that if I'd drag it off the road, I could have
it).

I'm thinking about trying to find a rotator and tri-bander to put on top of
it; but, having no experience with such a setup; I thought I'd seek some
advice first.

So, a few questions.

I'm sure someone has done this before;  would you be able to share your
experiences?

I have a friend who can weld anything from steel to aluminum and so I think
we can fab up a mount for the rotor.

Beyond that, thoughts would be appreciated on things like:
Wind loading - how many sq ft (if any) is reasonable before I have to use
guys (for my HyGain AV18HT the building dept made me engineer the base for
90K winds, WITH a "wet stamped" drawing)?
Base - is a 6' hole filled with dirt "good enough" or do I need something
more (if more, would a  6' hole with concrete be sufficient)?

Thanks in advance!

Clay
N7QNM