[TowerTalk] Utility Pole as Beam Support

Gary J - N5BAA qltfnish at omniglobal.net
Wed Jun 4 12:26:07 EDT 2014

Get some of this U channel (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6061-T6-Aluminum-Association-Channel-6-x-210-x-3-1-4-x-12-Long-6-Channel-/150937549859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2324943c23
 ) and mount a 6 inch piece about 15 feet from the top of your pole.
Another piece, usually a 3 or 4 inch piece of of narrower channel is mounted
almost at the top of your pole to act as a securing point for the mast to
keep it from being moved sideways.  Get a 30 foot mast and drill holes in
the bottom U channel piece and through the mast and insert a bolt to act as
a lower hinge.  Mount a pulley at the top of the pole that acts as a fair
lead going from a winch on the opposite side from the pole to the mast.  I
use 30 foot poles planted 3-4 feet in the ground leaving 26-27 feet in the
air.  I mount a 30 foot mast 10 feet from the top, thus getting my antennas
up approximately 46-47 feet above the ground.  I mount a rotor if desired on
top of the mast with a short mast stub going to the antenna.  When I need to
work on the antenna (or mount the rotator or a different antenna I can let
off slack in the winch and the mast rotates towards the ground - usually to
a ladder which keeps the end of the mast far enough off the ground so as to
be able to comfortably work on the antenna/rotator.

Does anyone know of a source for surface mount pulleys that could be used on
top of the pole without having to cut a channel down into the top of the
pole???

Gary J
N5BAA