[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Drive-In Base

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 20:42:29 EDT 2014

On 6/7/14, 5:15 PM, Linux Mercedes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to this tower business; I just moved somehwere where I
> need to put up a 50'-ish tower to get service from my local WISP.
>
> I have a bunch of Rohn 25G that was given to me. I noticed Rohn sells a
> drive-in base (SDB25G). I live in central Missouri with very clayey
> soil; do you think such a base, with sufficient guying, would be alright
> for me to use? (Alternatively, I may make my own dirt base that's longer
> for more stability.) I don't plan to use the tower for much, so I'm not
> too concerned with maximum wind loading.

Sure.. that's what that kind of base is made for.  A guyed tower
basically has to have a base that doesn't skid sideways, and doesn't
sink into the soil. It doesn't have to take any bending loads.

The downforce is a combination of the weight of the tower (and antennas,
etc.) and the vertical component of the guy tension.

You'll need some sort of guy anchors: if you can get an estimate of the
loads, you can pick the appropriate screw in anchor (and even better,
find someone to screw them in), and it will probably hold quite nicely
in clay soil.

I don't know about your maximum loading comment: either you can tolerate
the tower falling over or you can't, and that's what drives the whole
computation.