[TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Jun 20 09:13:31 EDT 2014

> Why not many serious DX-ers and contesters consider Tri-band or even
> Five-band quads is a mystery to me.

1) survivability - quads are much more fragile than yagis with regard
to icing.
2) survivability - wire flexing tends to cause premature failure in
windy environments
3) difficult to handle - a flexible three dimensional structure is
difficult to get on to a tower, particularly a guyed tower.
4) poor performer - the structural/survivability problems make very
long boom quads particularly problematic rendering quads uncompetitive
against very long boom yagis.  The added dimension also makes it
difficult to stack quads.

All that aside, a two or three element quad can be an effective
alternative to a basic trapped tribander if the user has an unguyed
tower and lives in a benign environment (most don't <G>).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV