[TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower

Dan Hearn n5ardxcc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 14:25:09 EDT 2014

Rick: I replaced the lift cables and pulley bearings on my TX472 by myself
with the tower in vertical position. I have a note on our club website
www.SDXA.org describing how I did it. The note is under the heading
Articals. The real problem was finding bearings. I checked with 2 different
bearing outfits here and they found that the bearings are no longer
available. The problem  is that available bearings with the proper OD have
an ID that is too large. Fortunately one of the guys suggested slipping a
short piece of bronze sleeve bearing into the available ball bearing to
fill the space between its ID and the mounting bolt.
  It was not difficult to press out the old bearings and press in the new
ones.

73, Dan N5AR

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Rick Stealey <rstealey at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working since I posted.  I found a pulley that is very sluggish.
>  It cleaned up with WD40 and motor oil and is at least turning, in my hand.
>  Now to locate proper industrial replacements at a reasonable price.  At
> least there is a strong possibility that this was the problem.  I need this
> tower to extend easily cause I want to put some educated aluminum up there !
>
> Rick   K2XT

Dan Hearn
N5AR