[TowerTalk] FW: Sluggish crank-up tower

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 18:16:42 EDT 2014

Rick is correct - I have several crank-ups and the pulley bearings get dry
over time.  My approach is to pull them out, remove the bearings, clean the
bearings up in the parts washer, drill a small hole in the side shield of
the bearing, and use a grease needle to pump them full of grease until the
old hard grease purges out & clean grease flows, reassemble and reinstall.
Usually have to re-peen the ID of the pulley after reinstalling the
bearings...   usually lasts 5 to 8 years before having to service again.

Matt