[TowerTalk] W3CRA Terrain Profile Available

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Jun 23 14:23:18 EDT 2014

I have made available my W3CRA terrain profile.  These use 1 arc-degree SRTM files with data filling.  A big thanks goes to Steve, W3AHL for directing me to these files.   I zoomed in on Google Earth, found Frank's antenna with broken director still up in the air and zoomed-in on the tower base for the most accurate LAT/LON I could get.  It was easy to find the exact base since at the time the image was taken, a shadow from the tower was cast to the northeast.

The file is in a .ZIP file format and available for download through my QRZ.com page at:

http://www.qrz.com/db/W9AC

The file contains all terrain radials, spaced every five degrees azimuth out to 14400 ft. distance.  You will need HFTA to open the .PRO files after unzipping.  A copy is included with recent editions of the ARRL Antenna Book.  The hard part is done.  From here, you will find HFTA easy to use.

I will leave the file up for a few days only.

Paul, W9AC