[TowerTalk] Cushcraft A-3 WS with 30 meter kit-PROBLEM

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 14:41:15 EDT 2014

I recently purchased an almost new A-3WS and a brand new 30 meter  adapter
kit form a ham in FL.

I've have two A-3WS 12/17 duobanders already in a stack and am  planning
making this a three high stack for 12/17.

Problem:

Assembled as per instructions, double checked measurements,  orientation of
the traps etc.  I hauled the antenna up a tower to test  it....around 15-20
ft.  At this height, it might resonate a little low on  30 but be pretty
much on the money for 12 and 17.

I get a very nice valley of SWR for three bands, but not where they  should
be.
30 mtrs is resonant at 9.8 mHz
17 mtrs is resonant at 19.67 mHz
12 mtrs is resonant at 23.2 mHz

SWR at resonance for all three bands is around 1.2 and if one did  not look
at the freq on the MFJ, one would assume all is good...nice normal  dips.
What is really weird, is that two of bands are too low and one is  way too
high.

I realize the SWR to be skewed slightly low at this height, but  these
readings are strange.

I have lots of experience putting together A-3 and a-3WS antennas,  but
have not used the 30 mtr kit.

No overall length of the driven element  with the 30 meter kit  added is
given.  Anyone have that?  Other than that I am really  puzzled by this.  Any
suggestions?

Bill  K4XS