[TowerTalk] [RFI] Back of desk grounding buss

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Fri Mar 21 09:41:11 EDT 2014

On 3/21/2014 n8de at thepoint.net wrote:

...snip...
> Think of the 'ground bar' as a series-string of very low value RESISTORS.

> Now ... think of your equipment as being connected to the 'nodes'
> between each of those resistors ... rig A at one end, then rig B at
> the first 'node' ... rig C at the second 'node' ... etc.

...snip...

Now thing of it a slightly different way..  The center of the bar has the cable to ground, and each section of bar is a LARGER conductor (aka lower impedance) than a wire the same length (greater cross sectional area - hence my question RE SIZE and material), and the wires are shorter.  The lumped impedance is therefore lower, as far as I can tell

Assume the grounding points on your rig, and your amp are 36 inches apart (as they are if you have an FT-1000MkV field and an Alpha 78 next to one another with the amp on the right).  You can run say two 18" lengths of braid to a common point, for 36 inches (tight stretched, but all it 40 with droop etc), OR you could put in a buss bar that is 36" long, and 2x 4" jumpers to said buss.  Total length is about 4" longer, but the BUSS is more conductive than the braid

Which gives you less poof?

--
Charlie
www.baysidephoto.com