[TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

Randy Lake randyn1kwf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:51:42 EDT 2014

Okay. I am going to go out on a limb here and expect to take a beating with
the hopes that other people in the group might benefit from my example.

I do not have any of my equipment connected to a ground buss. My coax is
not connected to the tower at the top and bottom. My tower is not bonded to
ground rods. The bottom set of guys on a 100' rohn 25 has no insulators and
goes directly to ground.
I have no RFI issues. My neighbors have no RFI issues. I have had 2 near
strikes and lost the well pump, some peripherals inside but no radio
equipment. Maybe I am extremely lucky.
I am ready for the influx of comments and honestly I am looking forward to
hearing them.

Randy N1KWF

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>wrote:

> On 3/22/2014 10:13 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
>
>> When there is a group grope debating the number of angels dancing on the
>> head of a pin
>>

> Patrick,
>
> Ham radio "conventional wisdom" is full of misconceptions, and grounding
> is one of the greatest. These misconceptions lead most hams to do dumb
> things that are expensive and wrong. They can also make lightning damage
> more likely, and make hum, buzz, and RF noise much worse.
>
> Understanding what matters and what doesn't with grounding isn't "angels
> dancing on the head of a pin," it's what's safe, what works, and what
> doesn't.
>
> In case you don't know, Jim Lux is an engineer at JPL, the guys who put
> those rovers on Mars. He's also a contributor to the ARRL Handbook.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Randy Lake N1KWF
73 Gunn Rd.
Keene,NH