[TowerTalk] Fwd: Back of desk grounding buss

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Mar 23 01:35:30 EDT 2014

Ian wrote:
> One more time: the main purpose of the strip along the back of the desk
> is to ensure that all the equipment metalwork is closely connected
> <together> at all frequencies from DC to RF. The best term for this is
> "BONDING".

YES! But bonding chassis of the interconnected equipment is BETTER.

> (Thoughtful authors try to avoid  calling it "grounding" or "earthing"
> because a connection to the Mother Planet is not the main aim. You
> should connect the bonding strip to a mains safety ground as well, but
> that was not your main reason for having the bonding strip.)

YES!

I wrote almost exactly this for the ARRL Handbook and Ed Hare vetoed it
because it was in conflict with what he and ARRL had been teaching for
years. I told them to take my name off the book.

I pushed for peer review, and peer review subsequently agreed with my
writing. :)

73, Jim K9YC