[TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Mar 23 12:36:35 EDT 2014

That experience counts for lightning protection of commercial
installations with big budgets, setups that don't change, no local
analog audio, and in a broadcast environment, balanced audio. But that's
not most ham stations. We have limited budgets, we do everything
ourselves, we change our setups as we try new things, buy new gear, have
lots of stuff interconnected, like computers, rigs, amps, audio
processors, SO2R boxes, and all of the interconnections are UNbalanced.
Moreover, if it's FM broadcast, cellular, or VHF/UHF 2-way, most of
those antennas are high in the air and have nulls in the direction of
the equipment, whereas our antennas often produce significant field
strength in our shacks.

Those interconnections, especially analog audio, is one big reason why
chassis-to-chassis bonding is far better than running individual wires
to a common point (or bus bar).

And there is nothing about that chassis-to-chassis bonding that is less
good than individual wires to a common point. Remember that with those
wires to a common point, we still have a loop to create magnetic
coupling -- it's formed by the interconnections between the boxes and
those long wires to the common point.

73, Jim K9YC