[TowerTalk] Putting in First Tower

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Mar 24 10:00:04 EDT 2014

If you are lucky your county will be as laissez faire as mine, but you
should check carefully, because a lot of jurisdictions seem to have
adopted boilerplate zoning or building permit rules that require a lot
of paperwork.

The Rohn catalog is certainly a great first step, but I encourage you to
consider a copy of K7LXC's book -
http://www.championradio.com/UP-THE-TOWER-The-Complete-Guide-To-Tower-Construction.1
It covers a lot of essential territory.

I went with Rohn specs all the way when putting up my 97' Rohn 25.
After a lot of agonizing I decided to go with the pier pin base, even
though it required temporary guys in order to climb the first section.

Regarding your point about falling on your property, that's certainly
conservative, but with a tower guyed in three directions on at least 2
levels, in most failure scenarios the risk is limited to a much smaller
circle than that because the failing tower will be tethered.  The one
exception to this scenario is if you tie all your guys to single guy
anchors, and an anchor fails, in which case the tower may fall more or
less like a tree.

  If I had my tower to do over again, I think I might invest in a second
set of anchors 15-20 feet outside the Rohn-spec location, and connect
the top guys there.  One added advantage - it gives you more room for a
second yagi stacked under the top one - with the Rohn dimensions, there
isn't much room to spare.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,