[TowerTalk] Putting in First Tower

Richard Thorne rthorne at rthorne.net
Mon Mar 24 10:33:45 EDT 2014

Ron,

 From a base perspective I would go with a pier pin for two reasons;

     - If you ever want to go to a different size tower like 45g or 55g
you will be able to easily.  This does make it challenging to install
the first few sections until they are guyed.  Make the base, as you
plan, the correct size for the larger tower.  I don't have my Rohn book
in front of me, but I believe both 25g and 45g call for base cb1.

     - I like a pier pin so the tower can twist a bit from high winds or
the torque of the antenna turning.  Just makes sense to me not to have a
fixed base which would probably cause additional stress on the tower
(I'm not an engineer but this just makes sense to me).

Put your guy anchors out far enough (if you can) so you can side mount
and rotate antennas lower down on the tower.  My 80' tower has guy
anchors out 80' which allows me to side mount as well as go higher
(albeit not much higher) some day.

Also, use philystran guy cable if you can so you do not have interaction
with antennas.

Do not attach guy wires to the very top section.  This will make it
easier to remove the top section if you decide to go higher as well as
giving you maneuverability while working on top of the tower. Care does
need to be taken how much mast/antennas sticks out the top.

Good luck.

Rich - N5ZC