[TowerTalk] 75 or 70 Ohm twinlead or ladderline cable - does it exist?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 25 19:50:21 EDT 2014

On 3/25/2014 4:40 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
> I wonder if we are talking about the same 'twisted pair?'

Probably not.

> The wire I was talking about was the old telephone wire they had back
> in the 50's and 60's that came from the pole to the house.  I think
> most of it was probably number 12 or so copperweld wire.  It had a
> funny insulation - almost like tarred rubber on some of it.

I'm talking about twisted pair generally -- much of the world runs on
twisted pair of one sort or another. Small signal audio typically uses
#24 - #28, as does CAT5/6/7. Loudspeaker wiring in pro systems uses #10
- #13, depending on the length of the runs. If I were feeding an antenna
with twisted pair and didn't care about visibility, I'd use #10 for low
loss. But if visibility was an issue (i.e., a stealth antenna), #22 with
a good quality enamel would work for moderate power levels.

73, Jim K9YC