[TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri May 2 20:08:33 EDT 2014

On 5/2/2014 7:45 PM, Tony wrote:
> All:
>
> Need some advise on getting the best performance out of a multi-band
> (80 through 20) wire antenna and tuner. My first option is the
> in-shack auto-tuner feeding a doublet with a short run of coax and
> remote balun. The alternative option was to go with a remote
> auto-tuner mounted near the antenna feeding an 80 meter dipole with
> ladder line. There would be an 80 foot run of coax from the rig to the
> remote tuner. I can add dipoles to the remote setup if need be.
>
> I have a 500 watt amplifier so I was considering the 500 watt Elecraft
> in-shack auto-tuner. The MFJ remote tuner (600 watt version) is
> reasnably priced, but unfortunately, didn't get good reviews.

If you run 500 watts to a 500 watt tuner, remember that tuners are
derated for lower impedances.  The loss in good coax (LMR400 or
9913-7)even with high SWR is quite low. The loss goes up with frequency.

I would get a better tuner rated for at least a KW in the shack.

I use a tuner in the shack for half sloper on 160 and a fan dipole on 75
and center fed half wave sloper on 40.
The fan dipole takes two current/choke baluns
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AntennaFeed1.htm and another at
the tower.  The imbalance of the sloping fan is substantial and take two
of these baluns to keep RF out of the shack.

I use an AT5K HP in the den and and an AT5K in the shop for legal limit
amps.  I tune them using a VNA with a pair of A/B switches so I can't
accidentally feed power into the VNA.  The input to the amp goes to the
exciter, or the VNA. Output goes to the tuner or dummy load.

73

Roger (K8RI)